Monday, February 19, 2007

Pillsbury Comets Win Regional Tournament


The Pillsbury Comets basketball team won a dramatic come-from-behind victory on Saturday afternoon here in Owatonna. Pillsbury was the host school for the NCCAA North Central Region tournament, and the Comets were playing the North Central University Rams for the regional championship. The Comets were down 53-25 with fifteen minutes to play in the game, but they never gave up on themselves. They mangaged to tie the game in regulation, and then it took three overtimes before the Comets finally prevailed 91-86. Nancy and I were in attendance, and it was one of the most electrifying games that I have ever seen in person. You can imagine the crowd reaction when the game was over. The victory was a credit to our young men and the coaching staff.

I would like to pay tribute to Cedric Jones, the North Central coach. Even though his North Central team had just lost a heartbreaker, Coach Jones made several eloquent and gracious comments to the crowd, as well as to the Pillsbury Comets and their coach Keith Champion.

Speaking of Coach Champion, I would like to honor him for his ministry here at Pillsbury. I have known Keith for nearly ten years now, and I consider him to be a wonderful role model for his athletes. He has coached at two or three other Christian colleges, and everywhere he goes, people hold Keith in high regard. He even writes a weekly column for the Owatonna People's Press. The name of his column is "From the Sidelines," in which Keith discusses the athletic world from a Christian perspective. And before I forget to mention it, Keith received a great honor Saturday. He was named Coach of the Year in the NCCAA North Central Region. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend here at Pillsbury. We thank the Lord for His blessings in our lives. That's the bottom line of why we do what we do here at Pillsbury College.

2 comments:

Resident Tourist said...

Also got your link on Sharper Iron when I was googling Chris Sligh because my son said he lived on his dorm hall at BJU, so I got curious. Wasn't going to write, but when you started to get nostalgic about Michigan, I had to. I knew your mom, your sister Becky, and your wife Nancy. Was fun hitting your blog. Lea Anne (Courtney) Gothard

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr Mcguire, found this your blog through John Telloyan's site. About Coach Champion: I have come into contact with many coaches, and Coach Champion is far and away the best coach I have ever met, played for or gotten to know. He knows basketball inside and out, but is always concerned for the lives and spiritual maturity of his players. Coach Champion is a great man of God. Just thought I would put in my $.02.
Rob FUller