Monday, February 5, 2007

My Oboe Odyssey: Part I

Many of us learned to play the piano or some other musical intrument when we were young, often at the behest of a parent. In my case, I had a mom who was a fine violinist and music teacher. She also taught piano, but I absolutely refused to take lessons from her, or anyone else for that matter. Fifty years later, I regret that fact, but there is nothing I can do to change that situation. Fortunately, my mom did prevail upon me to play some instrument. She often suggested that I consider the French horn, the bassoon, or the oboe. In the summer of 1961, I decided to give the oboe a shot. What a decision.

I soon discovered that many of my colleagues already had been playing clarinet, flute, trumpet, or whatever, for a year or two. And I also quickly discovered the first rule of begining oboe players: "Develop a thick skin." When a flutist or clarinetist makes a mistake, they just shrug it off. But when an oboist makes a mistake, everyone knows it. It can be very embarassing. I was most fortunate in that we had an excellent band director at Plymouth Junior High School East. His name was Mr. Larry Livingston; he had grown up playing clarinet in the "big band" era. He could be a little crazy at times, but he loved directing the band. Each spring, we had a big production called the "Band Show," and it was a fun time.

There was also the question of taking private lessons. I started out taking lessons from a high school student and then a college student, but by the time I got to high school, I was studying with Ron Odmark, the second oboist in the Detroit Symphony. He was a great guy and very easy to get along with. He taught me how to make reeds and also how to play halfway decently. I played my share of solos for the Michigan Solo and Ensemble Festival, but I never really liked having to memorize the music. But I survived.

It was also my good fortune to have a great high school band director at Plymouth High School. Mr. James Griffith (affectionately known as "Griff") was a no-nonsense graduate of the University of Michigan. We played good band literature, and I appreciated his approach. Some of my peers didn't care for him as much as I did, but that's just the way things were.

During marching band season, I did NOT play my oboe. I got to play bass drum and tenor drum instead. Of course, marching band was a lot of fun, but I was always glad to get back to concert band when the marching season was over. Mr. Griffith knew good arrangers over at U of M, so we got to play some neat pieces in marching band, as well as in concert band. All of this was good preparation for college, even though I didn't know it at the time. In future installments, I want to share some of my experiences at Interlochen's National Music Camp and at Bob Jones University.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David-
I googled the name James Griffith "Griff" and came upon your blog. My name is Julie, am a 1973 graduate of Plymouth High School, Plymouth, Michigan. After reading your blog on learning the oboe and your band experience, the Mr Griffith you describe can be no other than the same band director I had. You describe him well. I learned alot from him and appreciate to this day the things I learned.
Interestly, I am also a Christian--I wasn't then, but I had the good sense to respond to Jesus since those days.
I also found your writings on cats informative. I have two litter mates that couldn't be more different from one another. Both male, one is long, muscular and lanky and the other is fat. They are 18 months old and Bear, the fat one, arrived at fat when he hit adult hood. They both eat the same amount of food--a head scratcher. I worry that his life will be short lived because of his heft. God has made plenty of cats.
Blessings,
Julie Bell
PHS--'73