Monday, January 8, 2007

Dr. Walter Fremont (1924-2007)


Dr. Walter Fremont had a remarkable influence on the development of Christian education in America during the last third of the twentieth century. And he served as a wonderful influence in my life. When I came to Bob Jones University as a freshman in 1967, he was the Dean of the School of Education. Four years later, I graduated from BJU and was preparing to teach history on the college level. I worked on a master's degree at Clemson University, and then Nancy and I returned to BJU in the fall of 1972. I taught history at BJU for eleven years under the leadership of Dr. Edward Panosian (who taught History of Civ at BJU for 42 years).

Yet, it was Dr. Fremont who was always a role model and a Christian gentleman. He was famous for his enthusiasm and zeal, both in and out of the classroom. He would sometimes take off a shoe and a sock and comment on "how beautiful are the feet" of a Christian. About twenty years or so ago, he was stricken with Lou Gehrig's Disease. The disease may have slowed him down a bit, but it was wonderful and heartwarming to visit him in Barge Memorial Hospital on the BJU Campus. You came away realizing that you had been in the presence of a remarkable individual.

I am honored to have known him, and I am greatly honored that he was a friend. We will miss you Dr. Fremont.

No comments: