Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas at Pillsbury and at Grace Baptist Church


One of the great things about the Christmas Season is the opportunity to play and sing wonderful Christmas music. Two weeks ago, Pillsbury College presented its Christmas Concert. Pillsbury's choral director is my longtime friend Darrell Bevis, who was a graduate student in music at Bob Jones University back in the 1970s when I taught at BJU. I played oboe for this concert, as you can see from the attached photograph.

On Sunday evening, December 17, the Grace Baptist Church Choir sang John Purifoy's Christmas cantata, which is entitled "Born a Savior, Born a King." Again, I had the privilege of playing in the orchestra, and I also was able to sing in the bass section when I wasn't playing oboe. Although I do believe in multi-tasking, I assure you that I do not sing and play at the same time!

During my freshman year at BJU—in 1967, no less!—I discovered that there was a ton of beautiful Christmas music that I had hardly heard, much less performed. In addition to Handel's "Messiah," I discovered Bach's "Christmas Oratorio," among other great Christmas music. I remember commenting to Dr. Dwight Gustafson, the BJU Orchestra director and long-time Dean of the School of Fine Arts, that it was like discovering a whole new dimension of music. He agreed!

Even though I draw a salary to teach history and education courses, I still love the opportunity of playing at Pillsbury, at church, and in several groups here in the Owatonna community. Just this past spring, the Owatonna Community Orchestra and Chorus performed John Rutter's "Requiem," which is an absolutely gorgeous contemporary English choral masterpiece. I am thrilled to have continuing opportunities to play my oboe. I thank the Lord for allowing me to develop at least a passable ability to master the oboe.

I trust that you will have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Who's the gray haired clarinetist in the foreground?

David McGuire said...

The gray-haired clarinetist in the foreground is John Oblak. He is a member of Grace Baptist Church here in Owatonna. John is an engineer with Johnson Controls in Waseca, Minnesota, a town about fifteen miles west of Owatonna.