Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pillsbury College: The Last Day

The last official day of Pillsbury Baptist Bible College has come and gone. On Friday, December 12, faculty, staff, and students ate breakfast together in the dining hall and then met in Kerux Auditorium for a final chapel service. Dr. Greg Huffman, the president of Pillsbury College these last several months, preached about how God providentially orchestrated the events of the "first" Christmas over 2000 years ago and how God is also orchestrating the events of our lives as well. We have come to appreciate Dr. Huffman's ability to share God's Word in a practical and meaningful way. Among the many things I will miss about Pillsbury, Dr. Huffman is at the top of the list. He has been greatly used by God during these last days of Pillsbury.

After chapel, a number of us said our last good-byes, took photos, and basically realized that this group of faculty, staff, and students will never again be assembled in one place this side of heaven. Next spring, Dr. Huffman plans to visit the Christian college campuses where our students will be attending second semester to check up on how our Pillsbury students are doing. He has also said that he is quite willing to be in charge of the "Pilly corner" in heaven. Undoubtedly, some of us will never cross paths again until that glorious day when we assemble together in heaven with all of the saints. That WILL be a glorious day.

On a personal note, I have every intention of continuing Pillsbury History Guy in the future. As an institution, Pillsbury will become "history," but the great memories of Pillsbury will live forever.

1 comment:

Defense 1 said...

Thanks, David for your post above as well as for this blog which I've enjoyed reading for quite some time.

I attended the final Comets' sports events on 12/6. I'll be eternally glad I went though it was a day of mixed emotions, some involving tears over the loss of PBBC. The following week, knowing that the final hours were counting down, continued to be like knowing I was losing a loved one.

I suppose this event has driven home for me as never before what an impact PBBC had on me during my years there (1979-82). I'll always be extremely grateful for that time - it was unmatchable.

Best wishes for your future. I'll look forward to reading your blog "post-Pillsbury."

I have pictures of campus taken 12/5 and the last Comets game and former coaches ceremony at

http://attorneyjay.smugmug.com/

Jay Kalasnik
PBBC '82